Sunday, July 06, 2008

Cracked Glass Hawk - Technique Tutorial


This Red Tail Hawk image from CreativePlayStamps is so regal and impressive looking! I tried out my new Koh-i-noor Woodless Colour Pencils as my color medium on this image - along with the blending stump and odorless mineral spirits. I need to learn more about blending with this, but I am happy with my first attempt using trying it out!
I have been wanting to use the Cracked Glass Technique for a very longtime now - and finally got around to trying it. This beautiful Hawk image brought the technique to mind - and I think it works very well together.
Cracked Glass Technique: After your image is done to your preference, smoosh (this is a technical term! lol) the whole piece on your Versamark pad to coat it completely. Then sprinkle the Glassy Glaze Embossing Powder over it, tap off the excess, and heat with your Heat Tool. Repeat this process several times - I did it 5 times and liked the thickness I got so I stopped there. Place the piece in the freezer for several minutes. As soon as you take it out of the freezer, crack the glaze between your fingers by gently bending the paper back and forth until it looks as you desire it to. then finish creating your card/project. Tip: You can sponge some brown (or other coordinating color) ink into the cracks for a more distressed and aged look if you like.
Stamps: Red Tail Hawk and Thinking of You Sentiment sheet - both CreativePlayStamps
Cardstock: SU! Basic Black & Metallic Brushed Copper; Papertrey Stampers Select Vintage Cream
Accessories: SU! Glassy Glaze, Heat Tool, Twill Ribbon & Mini Glue Dots; Copper Embossing Powder & Blending Stumps (CPS) ; Koh-i-noor Pencils & Odorless Mineral Spirits (GinaK Designs)

1 comment:

Paula said...

Very striking image, Juli!