Monday, September 08, 2008

Scripture Chicks - September Bookmark


"The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness has not overcome it."
John 1:5

Aaaahhh, caught up with BVC08 now. I love this project, begun by Lori Craig, so when I do fall behind on it - no matter what the reason - it only adds to my frustration. Being caught up with my bookmarks, as well as on the outside of the spiritual funk I was in this Summer, is such a wonderful feeling of relief.

This verse from the Gospel of St. John has renewed my hope. I came upon this verse after receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation at the end of August. Meditating on the first eighteen verses of John, chapter 1 was my penance. Again - you betcha I had heard these verses many, many times. I think this is one of my favorite things about the Scripture - that His word is timeless. No matter how many times I read a passage, He always has something different to say to me in it.

A note on reconciliation - most Christians believe in reconciliation, or confessing of one's sins to God. The Sacrament of Reconciliation is a Catholic belief. It is sometimes mistakenly viewed as "telling a priest my sins." As defined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, a sacrament is an outward sign, manifested by Jesus, to give grace. Grace is God's life within us. The priest is not God. The priest does not forgive my sins. The priest is like a 'stand-in', symbolic of Jesus' presence. It is Jesus who forgives my sins, and bestows on me His Grace to try again to live my life detached from sin. It is Jesus who offers a penance to help me understand the why's of my sins, and it is Him who transforms me, through His Grace, past my sins. What I enjoy most about the Sacrament of Reconciliation, is the fact that I am confessing my sins - out loud AND to another person. I have found nothing else more powerful in helping me overcome my weaknesses to sin, then speaking them out loud and to another person, as well as apologizing out loud. Is it uncomfortable? Of course! I liken it to apologizing to my children when I over react with them. If you've never gotten on your knees in front of your child, whom you have offended, apologized for your misbehavior and asked for forgiveness - you are missing out! Again, you feel sorry in your heart and know that your child won't hold against you - but that is not the same as confessing your wrong-doing out loud and to that child. Try it, and you'll see what I mean! And you'll also know the joy I feel after receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation - only those feelings are even better and stronger! Another reason I love this BVC08 - Besides be given the gift of sharing in YOUR faith, I get to reflect on my Catholic faith and share it with all of you!

I have been wanting to use a lighthouse for one of my bookmarks since the beginning - and this verse couldn't be more perfect! I printed the verse on my computer, then colored over it with Copic Y02. I am pleased with the unusual-ness of this bookmark. My fav features are the hanging verse, and teh shredded ribbon at the top (made simply by making many cuts into the ribbon.)

Stamps: A Light Unto My Path (SU!)
Cardstock: Basic Black & Whisper White (SU!)
Ink: Pacific Point
Copics: Y02
Accessories: Pacific Point 5/8" Striped Grosgrain Ribbon, Mini Glue Dots, Corner Rounder, Paper Snips, Craft & Paper Scissors (all SU!) ENJOY!

2 comments:

Angel said...

Wow.... what a great explanation of that Catholic process that I often wondered about! And what a creative bookmark! CooL!

nancy said...

Juli, I LOVE your bookmark!!! That lighthouse along with that awesome scripture is well worth meditating on. Great job on getting caught up on your projects too : ) ! I appreciate your love for God & desire to live free from the grip of sin. We live in a world broken by sin, but Jesus, the Light of the World, overcame that darkness for us!! Thanks for inspiring me with your project and your scripture. Have an awesome week!