Sunday, June 01, 2008

Scripture Chicks - April Bookmark

Whew! April and May are CRAZY in our house with dh's work schedule. So though I worked on memorizing my verse for April - the bookmark actually got made last night! May and June are both in the works too, so hopefully with June's I will be caught up and stay that way! :)

This verse struck a chord in my heart when I heard it while watching the movie "The Gospel of John" with dh during Lent this year. If you haven't seen this movie, it really is 99% word for word the gospel of St. John. I followed along in my Bible!
Such a simple verse, and yet so much truth and power. As a Catholic, and as Christians in general, we are all called to this 'dying to self' process. When I struggle with this, I use this verse from His all-powerful Word to redirect my thoughts and thus my actions.
"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30
The inspiration for this simple design took two extra months to come to me - but I love the result. I think it goes with the Scripture verse perfectly! I used a jumbo paper clip (found in Wal-Mart business supply aisle) and attached a Pretties Kit large flower that had been polka-dotted with the writing tip of my Real Red Stampin' Write. Well, my polka-dots quickly turned into little crosses, (though our dd said they looked more like starts to her) as the ink soaked and spread on the fabric of the flower. Not the effect I was trying for, but I still like it.
I mounted the Pretties Flower with Mini Glue Dots to a Whisper White 1 3/8" Circle before mounting it to the jumbo clippie with a Pop Up Glue Dot and attaching another 1 3/8" Whisper White Circle to the back of it. Then a Real Red 1 3/8" Circle and the verse on a 1 1/4" Circle - all with Mini Glue Dots. My BVC08 April Bookmark is finished off with a bow of Real Red 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon and a Clear Brad (also from the Pretties Kit) that I clipped the prongs off of and attached to the middle of the bow with another Mini Glue Dot. Have I told you lately how much I adore the SU! Mini Glue Dots?! They are a staple!!
ENJOY!

No comments: